background

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Our Words


I recently watched a show on the Oprah Winfrey Network entitled Master Class. The "teacher"?: Maya Angelou.

You know that silly question that you are asked every now and again - "If you could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? I would answer that question with an emphatic: MAYA ANGELOU. She is someone I have admired for quite some time. She shares her life's experiences with a lot of wisdom and grace. And I think she does it very well.

During this show, Ms. Angelou spoke of the power of our words. She reminded the viewer that in the Bible it states, "in the beginning was the Word." She talked about how words are so much more than words - but rather they take on the flesh. "They get in the walls, in the floors, in the carpets." ....I believe that is so very true. Have you ever walked into a room after two people have "had words?" Have you ever walked into a building and just "felt" that something wasn't quite right?

I believe those feelings are the result of the words that have been spoken in that place. Negative words breed negativity. Positive words breed positivity.

We also know from God's Word that we have the power of life and death in our tongues. What we speak has the ability to tear down or build up. Our job as Christians is to edify one another, to speak to one another with love and peace. We have no business spreading gossip and murmuring and complaining and speaking lies about one another.

Sometimes we speak, not being aware that the very thing we say out of our mouths could cause dramatic situations in our lives or the lives of others. How many times have we spoken things into existence, and wondered later about the very thing that manifested?

We go through life day after day saying things about others and about ourselves not knowing and unaware of the words that are going out into the atmosphere to complete what we have spoken.

When God created the heavens and the earth he spoke it into existence. He said let there be light and there was light. In His word He says we will do greater works. If that is so and the Word says The Power is in our tongue then we should be able to speak to that mountain and it shall be moved, We should be able to speak to that bad situation in our lives and it shall be moved. We need not speak of the problem, but speak what the Word says about whatever situation we go through, by speaking the solution through the Word.

When we feel down we should speak and say that I am more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus that strengthens me.

When we feel unworthy we should say that I am the righteousness of God. When you feel as though you have enemies at every turn you should say that No weapon formed against me shall prosper any tongue that rises against me in judgement God shall condemn it.

We need to change our thinking. We do that by the renewing of our minds, reading God's Word daily. The enemy does not want us renewing our minds. The enemy doesn't want us to know that we have power in our tongue to speak to situations, he wants us to be ignorant to the Word of God, As the Bible says My people perish from lack of Knowledge.

Lets start renewing our minds through the Word of God...and begin to speak life!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thank you so very much for sharing your heart! This post has touched me more deeply than any I've read recently. I am facing a situation currently that requires great control of my emotions and my tongue. The outcome has consequences for an unknown number of people who are already suffering and need a positive outcome. Thank you for reminding me that my words have power to form that outcome even though others may feel I am foolish for believing that. I love you my sister!