background

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Eggs

While Brillo Man was excavating a new "road" through our property today he unearthed several nests of snapping turtle eggs. While it breaks my heart that all these little turtles have come to the end of their life cycle, it makes to happy to know that we will not be hatching any more snappers into the pond! We have enough of them already!

There were approximately 25 eggs on the surface - many more underneath the dirt. Each slightly smaller than a ping pong ball and laid over 100 feet from the edge of the pond. They will make a nice dinner for the resident skunk or the raccoons or an o'possum...








6 comments:

Pat said...

That's more turtle eggs then any one needs..like you said, good food for other critters. If they had all hatched, you would have had a herd of turtles running all over the state park!

Trish said...

Good one Pat...a herd of turtles!
When you live in the country you never know what critters you might find!
I remember years back, Daddy came in from mowing and announced, that he had ran over a nest of baby copperheads! (snakes) Thank God he was on a riding lawnmower!
And believe you me, after that, I didn't allow my girls to go in the back of the property near the woods!!!

Diane said...

I so do not like those little creatures! Daddy's pond always had tons of them and I would always be the one to catch them all! Never could catch a decent fish, just those danged turtles!!!! :)

Mom said...

I wonder if there are many more nests to be hatched? Time will tell I guess.

Jada's Gigi said...

Wow, what a lot of eggs! Nobody needs that many turtles!

Margie said...

oh my goodness! lots of eggs! yikes!