background

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Funny you should mention....

....cleaning.

When I as a kid, one of my chores was to (every Saturday morning) scrub the kitchen and bathroom floors. And it wasn't good enough just to slop a mop over the mess. I had to sweep the corners out with a broom - vacuum the floors - and then get down on my hands and knees, wash AND rinse the floors - one section at a time.

To this day, I don't consider a floor clean unless it's cleaned the "proper" way. We have lived in our home 4 1/2 years and my kitchen floor has never been cleaned properly by me. Brillo Man cleaned part of it that way once not too long ago....but I've never been on my knees in this kitchen for the purpose of cleaning the floor! There have been other occasions when I've been on my knees in the kitchen, but that usually involves tripping on a crayon or other such wayward toy...

Last evening, I looked at the table which butts up against my computer desk. It was piled SO HIGH with STUFF that I had to crane my neck to see beyond the junk into the living room. So, at 2:00am I started sorting through the junk. At 3:00am, I called it quits and went to bed. A few moments ago, I asked Brillo Man if he had noticed that I began to clean off the computer desk/table. ..."oh yeah, the pile that was two feet high is now only six inches high..." I said, "Didn't you see the huge bag of papers and junk that I set by the front door to be thrown away?" "uh, I saw a small bag of junk..." He just doesn't get it.

Seriously, I have been under GREAT conviction to get my house in order and be the best homemaker that God created me to be. Albeit almost impossible since I am working full-time hours. I will be cutting my hours back at work --probably shortly after the holidays. I'm not sure how well that will go over at work --but it's either shorter hours or no hours because I will have to quit if they won't grant my request. This full-time job has been for a season....and the last time I checked, the seasons were a-changin'! If I'm every going to live up to that woman described in Proverbs 31, I have a LOT of changing to do!


She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
-Proverbs 31:27

2 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Deb ... I like your blog photo much better than mine ... which looks a bit more like an old fashioned French maid (a hem ;). I agree with the most preferred method of cleaning a kitchen floor. Tomorrow, I'll share how mine is kept. Thanks for participating!

Constance said...

All of this cleaning talk is depressing me! Ha Ha! I have my biggest client today that I clean for. I have cleaned her house for 11+ years and this is their 5th house! They keep getting bigger and bigger! I can't complain, the money is excellant!

I can NOT wait for the day however when I get to retire!

Connie

PS I'm going to make sure she doesn't read this post about mopping floors on my hands and knees! She has a 5,000 sq ft house and I don't think this old gray mare is what she used to be!