background

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Almost 50

Yesterday was my birthday.

I am officially "almost 50". For those of you who don't know what "almost 50" means, it's 47. My age is something I easily remember because as Grandma P. always reminded me - she was born in 1910 and I was born 50 years later in 1960 and since we both were born in a year ending in ten, our birthdays alway's "matched" the calendar. For example --it's 2007, therefore, I'm 47. Next year, I'll be 48 in 2008 --and....in the year Olivia is scheduled to graduate from high school - the class of 2020...I will be 60! (Brillo Man and I will be wearing T-shirts to her commencement which read, "We are NOT the Grandparents.")

When I turned "almost 40" (37 for those of you not paying attention), I remember being very depressed that I was getting old and would very soon be 40. ha. What was I thinking?!

Anyway...I had a wonderful day. Olivia had been staying with my mother for the past two days, so that we would have a quiet environment for the banking inspector when he came to audit Brillo Man's business. (You remember that he is a mortgage broker...) Because Olivia wasn't here to crawl into bed with us yesterday morning, we were able to sleep in a little later and just chill.

We got up, ate breakfast and headed out the door to find some bargains at several of the yard sales in the area. There was also a household auction en route to Grandma's house where we bid on and WON a 32 inch wide screen HDTV! I've always wanted one - but didn't want to spend the money. Besides, the 19" TV that we have works perfectly. This, however, was a bargain we simply couldn't resist. Happy Birthday to me!

After retrieving Olivia from Mom's, we stopped at our favorite Amish greenhouse and bought a whole bunch of flowers which will probably sit for weeks before we eventually get them planted in the ground. The flowers are GORGEOUS and inexpensive compared to everywhere else. Again, we couldn't pass them up. And, we found another yard sale having an "everything-you-can-fit-in-a-bag-for-a-buck" sale. My favorite way to collect more junk that I really don't need but somehow feel that I can't live without.

In the evening, Brillo Man went and picked up a cake and some good friends arrived to share cake and ice cream with us. Lots of laughter and lots of fun!

Life is good at "almost 50".

Now please excuse me while I go watch my new TV!

This is the day which the LORD hath made;
we will rejoice and be glad in it. --Psalm 118:24


ADDENDUM: I just opened up yesterday's mail and received
an invitation to join the AARP! WHAT is up with that?!?!

8 comments:

Deb said...

Happy Birthday to my good friend Char --who also shares a birthday with me!! She, however, wasn't born in a year ending in ten --so I never can quite remember how old she is...although she truly IS almost 50!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I found this site on a friends profile and thought you would enjoy it if you havent already heard of it. www.postsecrets.com

Sara said...

happy birthday! if you put that theory into reverse, am i almost 37?

Pat said...

A happy birthday to you, a happy birthday to you....
What a great birthday you had...life is indeed good.
Oh those AARP people - they need to be a little more sensitive!!
If it makes you feel any better, in 2020 I'll be ~ never mind, it's to depressing! I think you'll have many parents your age around when Olivia graduates, I just saw a woman on the news who had a set of twins at 60, not that I'd wish that on you, or the baby!

Margie said...

happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend!!! I didn't get an AARP invitation though, and I'm 49!!! Two years to the day older than you! This is the LAST birthday that counts - 49 an holding!

KayMac said...

Happy birthday!!!!!!!

Jada's Gigi said...

Happy happy day!! I'm almost 50 myself..but a wee bit closer to it than you..lol what a great deal on the TV!! but i don't envy you the 5 yr old or whatever Olivia is now...:)