background

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Sweet Sounds of Christmas


Some of you have talked about the sounds of Christmas --the carols sung, the bells ringing, the laughter of excited children....

Here in our home, we have a whole new definition of the sweet sound of Christmas....

Last night, I arrived home from a short shopping trip to the outlet mall (I thought that since I hadn't yet visited a mall this season, that I should do so --just so I could say I did.) When I walked in the door, I heard scrambing and scruffing and Olivia came running over saying, "don't you even think about opening that door Mom!"
Brillo Man looked at me and said, "You're home way too early."
"Oh, wrapping presents?", I replied.
A couple of sheepish grins and a "yep" from both of them...

Soon, I was relegated to the bedroom while they finished their wrapping frenzy. And "frenzy" is an understatement....

From the bedroom, I heard the strangest noise --you know, that annoying, scraping, screeching, stretching sound that a tape dispenser makes when you pack a box for shipping? I heard that sound - again and again and again and again.
"What in the world are they doing? Wrapping an elephant?", I thought as I calmly sorted through a box of my own presents which needed wrapped.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Olivia came bounding into the bedroom announcing that it was safe for me to return to the land of the living. I followed her into the living room only to discover that they had indeed wrapped an elephant -- or at least a baby elephant! Next to the tree is this HUGE package - encircled by miles and miles of packing tape! Notice the beautiful, holiday dancing light (glare) that comes from the box...

Olivia squealed, "Mommy, I helped with all the wrapping and the one on the very top I did all by myself without any help from anybody!" "Wow!", I laughed at her excitement and added that I would probably need her professional help when I wrapped presents for Daddy. She dashed away and started down the stairs, calling as she descended... "Okay, but first I have to go downstairs with Daddy and have some 'Olivia time'. When you're ready to wrap and I begin to hear that sweet, sweet sound of the tape, I'll be right up to help you!"

After I open it, I'll let you know if it really is a baby elephant they've wrapped!

3 comments:

Pat said...

Oh I can't wait to see what's in that box! What I'd really like to see is you trying to unwrap it!
What a precious memory that was just created by a little one who is so full of love. Brillo man must have a pretty good heart full of love too. You are very rich...in what matters.

Margie said...

I hope it's not an elephant, he'll be hungry when he comes out!

Merry Christmas my friend!!

Mrs. Mac said...

Better make sure your scissors are sharpened before cutting through all that package tape. Must be exciting for Olivia to be in on the wrapping festivities ... is she good with keeping it a secret?