background

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

One Word



It’s interesting how one word can make all the difference in the world. I read a testimony today about someone’s weight loss journey. It was worded this way: “She has released over thirty pounds and has a goal of releasing an additional twenty to thirty pounds.”

Most of us, when we want to shed pounds, talk in terms of “losing” weight. I began to think about the term “release” in relation to weight. Here are my thoughts: The dictionary definition of “lose” is “to come to be without (something in one's possession or care).” If we think about something that we’ve lost –an object or some money or a favorite item –we usually spend a considerable amount of time and energy searching to find it again.

The dictionary definition of “release” is “to free from confinement, bondage, obligation, pain, etc.; let go. Liberation from anything that restrains or fastens.” Aha! I think I’m going to choose to RELEASE weight rather than lose it! Releasing it means that I’m FREE from the bondage and pain which I carry with me when I carry the extra weight! There’s a whole new set of emotions that go with “releasing” weight!

Something to think about huh?

4 comments:

Sara said...

oh my goodness! this is amazing. i have to sit on this one for a while to wrap my brain around it. as always my sister, thank you for sharing your wise heart. love you!

Tonya said...

This is wonderful... Thank you for sharing, This will deffinately make me look at weight differently going forward... Thanks.

Jada's Gigi said...

Yes, this is amazing~! Words are powerful things and cometime evena slight change can cause us or help us to think about something in a completely differnet way. Thanks for helping up to see things differently today.

Margie said...

see... good words are everywhere.