background

Monday, August 28, 2006

His Plans


Jeremiah 29:11 is a popular verse from the Bible. It is emblazoned on refrigerator magnets and wallhangings. It's often printed on the front of church bulletins. I have it sewn into a throw which sits on the back of our sofa. Because of that, I read it several times a day. This morning, in my Bible study, this verse came up. My study said to read the verse and replace "you" with my name and then pray for a new revelation as to what God may be saying to me. So I did.

The Amplified Bible says this: (I've inserted my name where appropriate)

For I know the thoughts and plans
that I have for you, Deb, says the Lord,
thoughts and plans for welfare and peace
and not for evil to give you, Deb,
hope in your final outcome.
- Jeremiah 29:11


As I prayed, the Lord so clearly spoke to me... As a parent, I have so many thoughts and plans for Olivia. Obviously, I want what is best for her. I have a lot of grandiose ideas of what she may grow up to be and how she will be successful as she grows. However, I'm not the one who is going to be making the choices for my daughter. Olivia will make her own choices about her life. Certainly, I pray that she looks to the Lord and to her father and I for guidance - but she will make the ultimate decisions when she is old enough to do so. My desire is for her to make the BEST choices so that she will prosper in all areas of her life.

That is no different than my relationship with my Heavenly Father. Just as my Heavenly Father has thoughts and plans for me, I will not prosper, and in fact, may do harm to myself physically, emotionally, or spiritually based on the choices that I make each day. I need to make the right choices. The right choices in my thinking, my speaking and my actions.

The right choices in my eating. As I struggle with my weight, I will never win this battle if I don't choose carefully. Choosing to eat only when I'm physically hungry - and then choosing healthy foods.

Father, I thank You for this new revelation regarding Your Word today and ask for Your help in making right choices. May every morsel of food that I ingest today be to sustain my life and not to feed my fleshly desire to eat for the sake of eating because the food is good - or it's my favorite snack - or I'm bored - or sad - or happy - or celebrating - or whatever other excuse I come up with for eating when I'm not physically hungry. I trust You for Your help as today I choose to die to self in the area of food. Thank You for trusting me to make right choices -- and providing the guidance I need to do so. I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Dear Jesus,
What she said.
Amen.

Tonya said...

Amen.. this is very nice.