background

Monday, July 03, 2006

Where is your treasure?

A discussion came up in our Sunday School class yesterday which I found to be interesting. Somehow, the subject was brought up concerning churches who have large savings accounts. Accounts where perhaps the money isn't earmarked for any particular purpose, but is just existing in the account, drawing interest.
There were quite a few opinions regarding this issue. Some of those who voiced opinions stated with great conviction that they believed these congregations shouldn't "hoard" money, but should be using it to further the Kingdom of God. It was pointed out that there are some churches in the area who are unable to pay their pastors while these other larger churches sat on big bank accounts.

I didn't say anything - but sat and listened. I thought about my home and all of our 'stuff'. We are blessed to live in a nice home on a nice sized parcel of land in the country. And - we have a lot of 'stuff'. Most of which we could never use in this lifetime. Over the years, between collecting for my Ebay selling business and my tendency to 'never throw anything away because I never know when I may need it'...I've accumulated a lot. And it is what it is --just stuff.

There are those living in our community --in fact, those in our own church who don't have anywhere near the amount of 'stuff' that we do. I pray that the Lord will provide for their every need and know that they are blessed --but still can't help but wonder if they struggle wondering where the money for the next bag of groceries is going to come from. My point to all this rambling is that giving has to start with me --with us --with those whom the Lord has blessed with an abundance of 'stuff'. Perhaps there's a woman in my church who would enjoy owning one of the dozens of antique glass paperweights that I have packed in a box because I don't have room enough to display them. Sure, they'll bring a few dollars on Ebay --but where is the joy in that? I get a few dollars - which I'll use to buy an outfit for my daughter or an extra cube of Sierra Mist or another 'dust collector' to sit on a shelf somewhere.

Yes, we are faithful to give our tithes and offerings --but the Lord is leading me to do more. May I not be guilty of laying up my treasures in places where they'll rot. ...I think I'm going to go package up one of those paperweights --I know just the person who would be blessed by receiving a package in the mail....


“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,
where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Matthew 6:19-21

No comments: